Look, it's a Knook!


When I was in Walmart yesterday, I just couldn't pass up the Knook Kit, especially since it was only $6.97.  It's knitting with a crochet hook!! I've been curious about this little kit for a couple of months, and I guess I was just ready to try something new!


(I apologize for the bad pictures!)  I first practiced the knit and purl stitches, casting on and binding off for a bit.  (There are some videos on the Leisure Arts website which were helpful too.)  It took me a little while to get used to the purl stitches because it felt pretty backwards.  But then for more practice,  I found this pattern on the Leisure Arts website which goes back and forth from a knit pattern to crochet.  So it doesn't look great, and I realized that my gauges for knitting and crochet are pretty off,  but it got better as I went along... It's cool to be able to go from knitting to crocheting, but because crochet is so much thicker than knit, I wasn't really digging it together for one project.  I could see using crochet as a border on a knit piece, but not alternating blocks of crochet and knit.  I've also noticed that sometimes there is a bit of space between some of my knit and purl stitches; I just need practice.


Above is a picture of a completed row.  Once a row is complete you slide it off onto the string...


turn, and begin to knit, er, "knook," again.

I'm fairly slow at it right now, but I don't think I did too bad for my first go!  I need to learn more, like how to increase and decrease, and see to what extent I can use real knit patterns with this method.  I'm amazed at how many different knit patterns there are by only using different combinations of two stitches!!

Have you guys tried knooking?  Any helpful tips?
   


Comments

  1. That looks great, but far too complex for me!!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about it, but haven't tried it yet. Might have to look for it and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really complicated! But your progress looks amazing :)
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of knooking before, but it looks fun, I think I will try this.
    thanks for sharing! and good luck with practicing ;)
    can't wait to see what you will make in this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this before - looks very interesting/complicated. But it seems like you're doing a great job with it!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. If you know how to crochet or knit, then it's easy to figure out. YouTube as videos on how to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I haven't pulled it out in ages! I should play with it again!
      Kate :}

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts